Monday 2 April 2012

Plastic Surgery

WARNING: Heavy Duty for a Monday Morning.
(sorry I have been meaning to post this for a while now)

I like to be honest on my blog and share a lot of my life.
I created this blog to mark a period in my life, so if I'm not honest, what's the point?
If in sharing my stories I manage to help/inspire anyone else then that's even better!

So what is this post about?

Well I went to see a Plastic Surgeon about three or four weeks ago.

Why? Well if any of you read my 11things post, you would recall that I was in a very serious car accident when I was 16. The main injury I suffered from this car accident was a laceration across the right side of my forehead. The laceration was from when my head hit the back of the driver's seat. I also had a hematoma in my brain, I was loosing a lot of blood and I needed to have surgery that night.

Prior to surgery, they say the cut was 26cm in length, by 3cm wide.
26 stitches later and an amazing doctor and it was a lot smaller.

I still vividly remember the morning I woke up after surgery, when I asked my mum how bad it was.
I was a 16year old girl in year 12, I'm sure I don't have to explain to you how much I stressed about how I looked.My mum asked me if I was ready to see my face.
She fished out a mirror from her bag, passed it to me and held my other hand before asking me if I was sure.I said yes and pulled the mirror up in front of my head, I looked at the person in the mirror and I didn't know who she was.

She wasn't me.


I had many bruises, blood shot eyes, a puffy face, a tube poking out on my forehead (used to drain excess blood) and a cut down one side of my face.I stared for a few minutes, then I put the mirror down, started to cry and nicknamed myself Frankenstein.
That was how I felt.

The whole time I was in the hospital, I could feel people look at me, they looked at me wondering what had happened to me and pittying me because it looked so awful.

 I was told in the first 2years the scar would improve, but after that it would not change.



When I was first able to venture out of the house, I would not go to school or anywhere without a beanie or a bandanna on to cover my scar.

 After 3 months, I progressed to wearing hats.
I wore hats so much, I once saw a girl from a year younger than me in High School (after leaving school) and she remarked, "I remember you, you use to wear hats everyday".
Teachers never asked me to take my hat off in class. They knew.

Over a year after the accident, I discovered that I could cut a side fringe and it would cover the scar. It was better, I was getting better but I would still freak out if anyone would mention that they could see my scar or if the wind would blow my hair up.

It wasn't until I was 21, 5years after my accident, that I would wear my hair completely up out to a bar, exposing my scar to the world. I remember I had decided it was time to face my fears and there was no better time to do that, then on a night where I knew I would have way too many drinks :)
I met my best friend at this party and I asked her, "notice anything different?", straight away she realised and gave me the biggest hug ever, saying how proud she was of me.

The first night with my hair up.
(Scar is on opposite side, against my friends head)


It has been 8 years, it has improved dramatically and this is how it currently looks with make-up on.


These days people see my scar almost everyday, I still get comments here and there, but I am better at dealing with it.


I know that you are probably looking at the photo above thinking I am being a drama queen, I have heard the same thing from many people, "you barely see it".
This I know, but the feelings associated with that scar, the black times, I don't want to see them in the mirror anymore.

I first went to a plastic surgeon a few years ago and was told all he could do was cut it into a bunch of smaller scars.
This wouldn't do and I was angry at the fact that they can make my boobs bigger, but not take away a scar that I didn't ask for.

I finally went back to a plastic surgeon recently.
I went and saw Dr. Banouti at Australia Plastic Surgery in Broadway.
He impressed me, he examined me thoroughly and gave me various options, ONLY after confirming exactly what my main concerns are (the uneven skin and my lowered brow).

For the uneven skin, the Doctor recommended surgery, where he will detach the scar tissue from the muscle and then insert fat from my stomach (I told him he could take lots!! haha) to plump up the skin. The stem cells in the fat will also improve the visibility of the scar.

Light Reading
- funnily enough, this girl use to be my next door neighbour.

For the drooping eyebrow, he suggested that I could have surgery or I could try botox first for only $120. A told me to try the botox and so I did.


Before Botox... sorry no make-up... GAH!!


You can see how much more lid you can see on the right eye.

I have to be honest, the botox lady reminded us of a duck and this frightened me.
Would I turn out like her? I sure hoped not.
She was lovely, but I couldn't help looking at her huge lips!

After walking out of the office

I bled a little from the botox and had a couple of minor bruises, but it really didn't hurt at all.
I had to do face exercises after for a few hours, to help the botox move around my face.
They say it can take up to 4 or 5 days to see the effects of Botox...

3 days after Botox

5 days after Botox


 7 Days after botox

12 days after botox

As you can see the improvement in the eyebrow is noticeable, but it hasn't been HUGE, so I contacted Dr Banouti about getting the eyebrow lift done at the same time as the scar revision. I am currently waiting for a new quote.

This whole process is scary, but I think if something has been bothering you for a long time and you have the means, and they have the technology, then why not fix it?

Why should I continue to live with something I hate?

I will continue to keep you updated on my progress,.
If you have any experience with plastic surgery and have advice to offer, I would love to hear it.
xx

20 comments:

  1. No experience, but I do agree with the 'if you have the means and want it, fix it' mentality.

    Cosmetic surgery is also different when you're not attempting to achieve 'perfection' and just want to be 'comfortable again'.

    Also agree with getting your eyebrown lifted rather than repeated botox...think that would be a pain.

    Good luck with it all :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks hun, I know some people still feel a stigma with plastic surgey, but some times it is much much more than just a vanity thing.

      Delete
    2. Yay you're blog is back :-)

      Did you fix it or did it come back on it's own??

      Delete
    3. I never knew it was gone? hahaha... both you and mez told me.. weird!

      Delete
  2. I'm glad there's a way to fix it and you don't have to put up with it. We all notice our tiny imperfections and if we could fix it, we would.. so why not?! Good luck with the whole process!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks honey.. I appreciate the support!

      Delete
  3. What an inspirational post hun! I can somewhat relate I am prone to keloid scarring its a traumatic scar which tends to grow out and over the area of the trauma when I was 7 or so my parents noticed a small lump on the under side of my arm an they decided to get it removed incase it turned into something more in the future - little did they know that I am prone to this type of scarring - its an ugly bloody scar and I hate it about 12 months ago I did my first laser treatment and I need to wear Silicon Patches on it to help flatten the scar and then once its reduceded in size I will them do some q-switch to remove the scar 100%, there is no guarentees that it will be gone for good becuase they often grow back.. Its right when you say people say "oh you cannot see it.."ect ect but its not about what others think its about how comfortable you feel in your own skin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm glad you have found something that may help as well. Is it not frustrating though when it comes to fixing scars? I think about all the boobs they give people, the lips, the noses, even the bums and they can't fix our scars as easily.... ARGHH Anyways, Thanks for sharing hun xx

      Delete
  4. What a great post! Even if it's not that noticeable to other people, I guess what matters most is the effect that it has on you. And if you have the means to fix it, then as you say, why not?! It's most important that you feel good about yourself, and have the self confidence you deserve. I think you're very brave for dealing with all this, and in the diplomatic way that you do! Good luck, and I hope you'll be able to feel happy about it after it's done! You're gorgeous, and should be able to feel that way! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sweety.. thank you for understanding, many don't, but you nailed it- it really is just about how I feel about it! xx

      Delete
  5. It's great that you have found a Doc who wanted to try other methods first (botox), before the brow lift... The fact that it wasn't 100% what you need, isn't the point.

    I'm happy there is something you can do about it. I can totally understand your wish to have it improved as much as possible.

    All that matters is how you feel and that you're happy. Bugger what anyone else thinks!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I thought too! He wasn't straight away telling me to have surgery, even though that costs a lot more!! hahaha thanks hun- bugger 'em! :P

      Delete
  6. Your blog momentarily disapeared today and I panicked haha.

    Reading you post gave me goosebumps. I agree with you, why live with something you hate if you can fix it.

    I have had plastic surgery, but I had breast implants which are a whole other kettle of fish to you. I had them because I hated my chest and how out of proportion I was. My best advice would be to have at least 4 consults with different surgeons. Ask every question under the sun, no matter how silly you think it might be.

    Make sure you feel 100% (not 99%) confident in your surgeon. This is important. Read up on all the risks and complications.

    As long as you look in the mirror after surgery and just think to yourself "damn, I am gorgeous" then it will all have been worthwhile.

    Keep us updated xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wow! I didn't even know? hahaha... both you and Miss Directions did though, so i'm glad you guys are on the ball :)

      I have a very good friend who got breast implants for a similar reason... she hated her chest and it was interfering in her relationships and her confidence.

      Thanks for your support and advice.. I am really amazed by all the wonderful comments xx

      Delete
  7. No advice on plastic surgery but I say if there is something that bugs you and you can fix it, do it. I had invisible braces before my wedding, because one of my front teeth was ever so slightly crooked. No one really noticed but me. It cost a lot but I am so glad I did it. It made me feel so confident on my wedding day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks hun. It is exactly the same for me.. how it will make me feel is a whole world of difference and why would I wait until after the most photographed day of my life to do it? hahah xx

      Delete
  8. I have the same problems as The Brunette One and have an ugly scar on my left shoulder. The doctors said they couldn't fix it when I was younger, but perhaps technology has evolved now? I felt everybit of what you went through post getting the scar. How it was hard to show it. Mine took half a year to heal and being twelve, pussing and occasional bleeding onto your shcool uniform was the most horrible thing that could happen. Made me lose a lot of confidence too.

    thanks for a great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well the technology has improved in the few years since I last went to a plastic surgeon, so if it is bugging you, i'd suggest you go have a consulation.

      I'm glad you liked it xx

      Delete
  9. There is no perfection, only improvement. I think that it's great that you're taking steps to fix what you see as a physical issue. In the end, we all strive to improve ourselves, and you can say that plastic surgery such as these is a means to achieve one of those improvements.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Geoffrey. You're right I am not striving for perfection, because that would be a battle I could never win haha

      Delete